Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This and that along the way...

From the time I found out I was pregnant I began keeping a side journal as I wasn't ready to tell the world that we were expecting. I've been meaning to put it in the blog in case I ever want to look back so here it goes...

(It's about 5 months worth of bean details so you may want to skip over this one)

July 27, 2011

On July 26th of 2011 Kevin and I found out we were expecting! I have to admit, this all happened rather quickly. For the first few months after we got married we went back and forth on whether we were ready to go off BC or not. From April through June we decided it wasn’t quite time. In July we went to the funeral of Kevin’s Poppy. It was his 3rd grandparent to pass away in 4 months. On our way home from this trip we began talking about life and that it was time for something happy. We were leaning towards the thought of growing our family. We decided that the following month I would go off of birth control and we would just see what happens. We were not going to “actively” try for a few months but we just wanted to get to the point where my body would be ready when we were ready. If it happened sooner it was meant to be. Well…guess what! Two weeks later I was pregnant. WOW is all we can say! Even with our decision we were a bit shocked at first. We were prepared for the risk, but we thought it would at least take 3+ months. Oops…not for us! So we are super excited to announce that we will be welcoming Baby Hatcher sometime in the Spring and our family will begin to grow! This will be the first grandchild on both sides…UH OH!!!
I believe based on calculations that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I head to the doctors office this afternoon to confirm pregnancy and get a little information. On August 24th we will go to the doctors for our first ultrasound and to hear the baby.

August 16, 2011
The week of August 6-14th we went on vacation. We spent a few days at the beach house in Oak Island followed by a few days at White Lake with Kevin’s mom’s side of the family. While in Oak Island we had a few visitors. Kevin’s best friends Jeremy and Bryce came to stay with us as well as Kevin’s dad for a night. We took this opportunity to tell them our news. We were so excited to finally tell a few people close to us about our pregnancy. We thought about waiting at least until after the first appointment, but we knew they would figure it out after spending a few days with me. We also want the chance to be able to tell them in person. It was so exciting and Kevin’s dad was over the moon. He was smiling from ear to ear. The next morning he hurried to call Karen (Kevin’s stepmom) so we could tell her the news since she wasn’t able to come down with him. After a few days in Oak Island we were off to White Lake for the family reunion and celebration of Kevin’s Grandfathers 80th birthday. All of Kevin’s Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and more were going to be there. We weren’t sure we were quite ready to tell that many people as we hadn’t yet made it to our first doctor’s appointment to assure everything was okay. So we held out from telling anyone until Kevin’s mom arrived on Saturday. We couldn’t wait to tell her and it was really hard being around some of the family members and not telling them our news. I think they may have been wondering why I wasn’t drinking or getting on the jet ski, etc. I just made up excuses and they seemed to move on. When Kevin’s mom arrived on Saturday we told her our news and she was extremely excited as well. We decided to hold off on telling others at least until after our doctors appointment or until I made it to the second trimester. However, a few hours later we were at the go cart track and the entire family was trying to get me to ride. There was so much bumping and running into each other that I knew I couldn’t get on. They kept persisting and I kept giving excuses. Kevin’s cousin John Christian even said something to me along the lines of…”you won’t get on the jet ski and you won’t get in a bumper car. You aren’t preggers are you”? I told him did I look it to try and steer him away. However, I ended up having to tell two of Kevin’s aunts so they would understand why I just couldn’t get in the car and participate with the rest of the family. They too were SUPER excited. It was really neat to be able to tell a few people we don’t see all the time in person so we could see their reactions. We made it through the weekend without telling anyone else. That is until we were headed home and met my parents to give them the good news.
I’d have to say talking to my parents and sister the last few weeks without telling them has been really difficult. However, I HAD to tell my parents in person. I really wanted to tell my sister in person as well but she lives in Seattle and that was just too hard to get out there right now. So, on our way home we met my parents at Cracker Barrel in Smithfield for a late lunch. After we ordered I pulled out a onesie that had ducks on it. I told my mom that I got an early Easter present that we would soon need. It took her a second and then she figured it out. My mom and dad were elated. I think my mom and I even had a few tears. We spent the entire lunch talking about the baby and our plans. I wish we would have had more time but we had a long trip ahead of us.
Next up was my sister. I had this one planned for a few days at this point. It was her birthday and since I couldn’t tell her in person I wanted to tell her in a neat way. So, I talked with her boyfriend and worked out a plan. I had him pick up a Baskin Robbins birthday cake (we always send each other one for our birthdays). On the cake I had them write “Happy Birthday Aunt Devin”. The night of her birthday they had a house full of people over for a game night. My sister’s boyfriend called me right before the cake came out so that I would be on the phone with her when she saw it. I was striking up random conversation as the cake was coming out. All of a sudden I hear “ARE YOU PREGNANT”. She couldn’t believe it and LOVED the way I told her. I truly wish I had been there to see her reaction in person, but this was definitely second best.
Telling our closest family members that we are expecting was something we will never forget. Now, if I can just get through a few more weeks so I can tell some of our friends our GREAT news!!!

August 25, 2011
On Wednesday August 24th Kevin and I had our first prenatal appointment. We were incredibly excited as this would be the first time we were going to see the baby bean. After a few weeks of letting the fact that we were about to have a baby settle in we thought all the big surprises were over. Kevin has had to work the past couple of weeks in Richmond so he had to drive home mid week to make it to the appointment with me. He made it just in time and we headed inside so we could get a glimse. Right off the bat I loved this new doctor that was recommended to me. She began the ultrasound and it was surreal to see the image of a tiny little bean knowing he/she was inside of me and growing. A few seconds in I look over at the doctor and her face looks a little puzzled. I was hoping everything was okay. I looked from her to the screen, her to the screen, etc. Until she says…”Do you see what I see”? Immediately, I think I may have turned white and said “Noooo???? Really…are you sure”? Later I found out that until it was actually said Kevin was thinking something was wrong. She followed by saying….”I think I see two”. She asked me to hold still so she could make sure and soon enough she got a snapshot of two baby beans. OH MY LORD. We did not know what to think. I just kept saying…”are you sure”? She asked if we were okay and I said yes so she kept going.
Little did I know this would be yet another day that would change our lives FOREVER. Like I said we had just settled in on the fact that we would be expecting a sweet little baby to soon find out….there will be 2! We spent the rest of the night letting our family members who were aware of our news know that there would in fact be 2. Kevin and I walked into that appointment without so much as a thought of there being two…much to our surprise and excitement now we will be expecting two little beans on or around April 2, 2012. My mind is still reeling over the many, many, many ways in which this has just changed our whole world. . I’d have to say I may still be in a bit of shock. Kevin on the other hand seems to be just fine and quite excited.
We feel doubly blessed and can’t believe what lies ahead of us!

I should also mention this week included a 5.8 earthquake, news of multiples, and a hurricane that hit. It was quite the week to say the least.

August 29, 2011
A sweet message the babies received from one of my very best friends Brittanie. It was the first of, I’m sure many more to come from loved ones. It definitely made me tear up just a little…

Dear Bean One and Bean Two,

You are two very lucky babies! Your mom and dad are super surprised but very excited to hear that instead of one, there will be two of you. You are already loved by so many people. I can't wait to watch you grow in your mommy's belly over the next 7 months or so. Be nice to her and to each other while you are in there. See you in the Spring! I love you baby beans!!!

~ Aunt B :)

September 27, 2011
Over the next few weeks Kevin and I told a few close friends and remaining family members our great news. Everyone was ecstatic and had their very own reactions to the news. I am still holding out from telling co-workers, although it may get pretty hard considering in my eyes I am definitely beginning to show. I am a little nervous to go completely public with our news because I had a co-worker that spontaneously lost a twin at 14 weeks. I just want to be a little further along before we start shouting the news.
Yesterday, September 26th we went to our second OB appointment. We are considered high risk so we are fortunate enough to have double the appointments. We see our regular OB as well as a specialist that checks to make sure the babies are safe and growing at the same rate. I love having that extra treatment because it has been wonderful to see these sweet babies each time. Yesterday’s appointment was amazing. We got to hear their tiny little heart beats (both at 160), which brought tears to my eyes. It was the most incredible sound I’ve ever heard. Throughout the ultrasound we saw them flip, yawn, and sucking their fingers. I guess they are destined to be like their mommy with the finger sucking considering they are only 13 weeks. The ultrasound tech gave a guess at what she thinks we are having and she guessed a boy and a girl. They won’t be able to confirm until our next appointment but that would be amazing. Although we don’t really care as long as they are healthy little beans. I find myself continually staring at their little ultrasound pictures in amazement. I cannot believe that Kevin and I created these little beings. We love them so much already.

This past weekend I caught a cold. So many friends had told me try to stay away from anyone with a cold. I learned firsthand this week why…it SUCKS to be sick and pregnant because there is nothing you can do and it lingers forever. It has been awful in terms of colds I ever had. Other than that I have slowly been gaining a little belly and my appetite hasn’t really changed. My doctor said that should change soon. Veggies are not my favorite right now which is driving me crazy because I have always loved my veggies. I’ve found myself eating things every now and then like ice cream which I wouldn’t have normally otherwise done but no real cravings yet. Up until this week I had been working out 3-4 days a week and was still running a couple of miles at a slower pace. However, my doctor advised I should find other ways to get exercise and stay away from running since there are two little beans. Boo  But It definitely makes sense cause I was beginning to struggle. I don’t think there is more than a few pounds weight gain yet but that should change now that I am in my second trimester…YAY!!!!! I currently weigh 127 pounds at 13 weeks.

September 30, 2011
This cold is still lingering  But… I am definitely feeling a WHOLE lot better. The cough seems to be the worst part at this point. On another note…my belly has DEFINITELY popped this week. Prior to this week I definitely noticed a change but now it’s getting kind of obvious to others. My pants just do not fit and I am struggling with shirts. Maternity shirts are just a tad too big and look a little frumpy because of that. My regular shirts look horrible because I don’t exactly have a true belly. I guess I’m just hoping to jump to the true belly stage so I don’t look so awkward.

October 13, 2011
Today was AMAZING. In previous weeks I have felt/ wondered if I have been feeling the babies. Today I confirmed I had not because I felt the most amazing true kick yet. I don’t even know how to explain it. It was a repeat of jabs to my upper right ribs. I am guessing one of my babies has flipped position. I was so excited I sent my mom, sister, and dad a message. I called Kevin immediately to tell him all about it but unfortunately he wasn’t able to pick up the phone. So I also sent him a message about it. He called me later that night and told me that got him really excited and now he can’t wait until he can feel them. He said he was having a horrible day and seeing that message made him smile and happy. Those are the moments that make this so very exciting. In just over a week we find out the sexes of our sweet babies. Until then…

October 19, 2011
On Monday October 24th we will find out the sex of our babies. Today I sent out an email to our friends and family polling what sex they think our little beans will be. See below…
Okay- It's FINALLY almost that time. On Monday Kevin and I will find out the sex of our little beans :) We cannot wait to say the least. Of course we don't care what we are having as long as we have two healthy little babes. But I am eager to know what our future has in store for us...a whole lot of BLUE, a whole lot of PINK, or maybe a little of both Pink and BLUE. I thought it would be fun to send out a little poll to those of our friends and family that know our exciting news to see what you all think we will be having! If your up for it respond to this email with BLUE, PINK, or BLUE AND PINK.

Based on the responses it looks like most of our friends and family believe we are having one little girl and one little boy. We had 10 votes for Pink & Blue, 3 votes for double Blue, and 2 votes for double Pink.
Now I am REALLY anxious for Mondays appointment so we can find out  Kevin isn’t sure if he is going to be able to make it home from Richmond for the appointment. If he can’t make it we will have the doctors place the results in an envelope and we will find out together over the weekend. I SOOOOOOO hope he can make it home. I’m not sure I can stand the anticipation a few days longer.
On another note- this weekend is the ECU/ Navy game in Annapolis. Lots of friends are coming in town and we will be tailgating and going to the game. This will be the babies first ECU tailgate…inside my belly of course! I can’t wait to take them to a game next year all dressed up in ECU gear  They are doomed to wear purple and gold considering both mommy and daddy went to ECU. GO PIRATES

October 24, 2011
Today marked 17 weeks pregnant and we had our OB and Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine appointments. We are incredibly excited because we found out the sex of the babies. We are expecting one little girl and one little boy…the best of both worlds. Yet again we find ourselves wondering how we got so lucky to have such a special combination. The ultrasound tech spent a lot of time on each baby. Baby A is our girl and Baby B is our boy. She checked all of the measurements and functions on limbs, kidneys, brain, etc. It was so neat to see all of those little parts fully functioning. Yet again during this ultrasound both babies were moving and kicking up a storm. The ultrasound tech called them little monkeys because she said they were moving so much. Baby A was touching her toes to her head and Baby B was sucking his thumb again. We love every moment of watching these sweet babies on ultrasound. One fortunate aspect to twins is the ability to have so many ultrasounds. Singleton pregnancies usually only get 2 ultrasounds throughout the entire pregnancy. We will go to the specialist and get a very detailed ultrasound on both babies every 4 weeks and then every two weeks at the end. I was told each baby is 5 inches and weighs about 6 ounces each  They had very similar heart beats at 147 and 155. I am measuring at 22 weeks for a singleton pregnancy but on schedule for twins at 17 weeks. All in all I feel great, quite tired still, but great. No more morning sickness thank goodness. Sleeping seems to be getting a little worse. I have to get up to use the bathroom at least 3 times a night and I find myself so uncomfortable during sleep already. I stuff pillows anywhere I can. We can’t wait to see how much the babies grow by the next appointment in November at 21 weeks.

November 9, 2011
Last weekend my parents came. The weekend before Kevin and I began clearing out the guest room which will now be called the baby’s room  I love the sound of that. While my parents were here they helped clear the rest of the furniture out. We officially have an empty room ready to be painted (not sure of the color yet) and filled with baby furniture, clothes, toys and best of all BABIES!
My mom and I ventured out to a few baby stores. I am 19 weeks and haven’t bought a thing for these little beans. I was waiting to find out what sex they were before I bought anything. Once I knew I was dying to find that special first item. My mom and I found the cutest little summer clothes on clearance at a store called Janie and Jack. Normally it’s a pretty pricy store but we found a few really cute, really nice summer outfits all for under $10. It was actually pretty exciting. I can’t wait to begin filling that room up and creating the nursery.
My sister and I have been looking at fabrics to make the baby’s their bedding. I knew from the start that I wanted custom bedding if I could talk someone into helping me. After lots of searching it looks like we are leaning towards a cute fabric with giraffes and a few coordinates that will tie them together. I’d have to say creating the look of the nursery has been a lot harder than I thought. It’s pretty hard to make it special for a boy and a girl and not go too boyish or too girly.

Kevin and I leave tomorrow (11/10/11) to take out last little trip as two! We are headed out to Seattle to visit my sister. I can’t wait to get out there as it’s been over a year since I’ve been there. It may be rainy but I sure do love all that there is to see and do in Seattle. Maybe someday if my sister stays out there we will be able to bring the little beans.
On another note after wondering if I was feeling these babies I do believe I have finally reached the mark of feeling little kicks and jabs. Before I would feel it for a second and then not again for a few days so it was confusing if that was what I was really feeling. I am excited to finally be at the point where I am feeling the movement a couple of times a day. It’s still not very strong but I’m pretty sure it’s those little beans that I am feeling. Now I can’t wait for other to feel them 

November 22, 2011
Last week I really started feeling the babies kick! In the last two days I have begun to feel them on a regular basis. I looked down at my belly last night and could actually see a little thump from the outside. I am so excited about this because I can’t wait for Kevin to feel them  I feel baby girl on my right side a lot more often than I feel baby boy on my left side. My doctor told me this is normal. She said that he could be closer to the skin or positioned differently than she is. I feel them a little sporadically throughout the day but a lot more consistently in the evening when I am relaxing. I love it!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment