Thursday, August 19, 2010

April 2, 2011...will be the best day of my life

So...I've decided to start blogging. I wanted to be able to document/share the details and effort as we prepare for our upcoming April 2, 2011 wedding at Orton Plantation & Gardens in Coastal North Carolina.


Let me rewind for a minute and tell you the story of the day Kevin asked me to marry him...It was January 26, 2010 and we were vacationing in the Dominican Republic. We had been together for 6 years, so needless to say, I could not wait for this moment to come. We were on an excursion for the day to Paradise Island. We had just come from snorkeling. Believe it or not Kevin had the ring in his pocket while we were snorkeling (I know :O). I decided to to go lay out for a bit while Kevin went to see some friends we met from our resort. A few minutes later Kevin and our new friends walked over to me. Kevin asked me to stand up and take one last picture with him before we left the island. This was a little unusual as I am always the one asking him to take pictures with me. Anyways, I stood up and posed for the picture. Then he immediately turned to me stating my whole name, "Breanne Parker Gurley" (It was so cute), and began his speech asking me to marry him. As he began placing the ring on my right hand, I gently guided him and the FABULOUS ring to my left hand. He was so nervous and I was beyond EXCITED! He stood up and turned to everyone that was watching and shouted, "I'm getting married"! We were both grinning from ear to ear.
We had a little time left on the island. At this point many people were walking up to us that had seen him propose and were congratulating us. I can honestly say I had the widest grin from ear to ear. My mouth was literally beginning to hurt a little from smiling so big and for so long. We sat down on the sand and just took the moment in together. He took this opportunity to finally tell me the story behind the ring...that it was his grandmothers ring. She literally took it off of her hand and no longer has a ring on her left index finger. This ring means more to us than she could ever imagine.




Unfortunately, a few minutes later it was time to leave the little island. Paradise Island will forever hold an amazing memory of one of the best moments of our lives. We took one last picture and headed back on our route to the resort. We were so excited to get back to the hotel and begin celebrating with some of the friends we had met over the few days that we had been at the resort. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I began feeling sick to my stomach on the way home. That sick to my stomach feeling escalated and by the time we reached the resort I was INCREDIBLY sick. Long story short I ended up at the doctors that night and had Montezuma revenge. The doctor gave me an IV of medicine and orals to take back to the room. I have never been so sick in my life. Poor Kevin who had just proposed to me was now taking care of me as sick as he'd ever seen me. I began feeling a little bit better the next day and was pretty much back to health two days later and we were finally able to celebrate. We popped some champagne with friends that we met while in the Dominican. The rest of our vacation was amazing. We traveled home and enjoyed being engaged for a few months before we began "Wedding Planning". Stay tuned for those details in the posts to come!

1 comment:

  1. Bre!!! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us!!! I look forward to watching the perfect couple not only continue to plan their wedding, but to watch the perfect couple walk down the aisle and become united for life. I can't wait to read more as you continue your wedding planning. And, I especially can't wait to see you on "the best day of your life" XOXO~Love you both!

    ReplyDelete